Ghostwriter - Lissa Bryan Synopsis:

After being laid off from the newspaper where she worked as a
journalist, and losing her boyfriend in rapid succession, Sara Howell is looking to downsize before her dwindling savings run out. Things are finally starting to look up when she lands a job ghostwriting the biography of a popular politician and rents an isolated island house which turns out to have once been the home of her favorite author, Seth Fortner, who mysteriously disappeared in 1925.

But when strange things start happening, as objects break, or go missing, and terrifying visions appear, Sara begins to wonder if Seth ever left, or if she is losing her mind.

What happened to Seth is a secret closely guarded by the family to this day, a family that seems to exist under a terrible curse. Through an old trunk of letters she discovers in the attic, Sara unravels the mystery and becomes caught up in a tale of greed, lost love and the horrors of WWI.

When Sara realizes she is not going crazy and that Seth Fortner’s spirit still haunts her new home on the isolated island, she begins to draw him out of his shell bit by bit. She will discover what happened to the idealistic young writer who went to the battlefields of France to save lives, and to his beautiful bride to destroy the love between them, and what led Seth to make a terrible choice which would have consequences
that would echo for generations.

They gradually fall in love in their world of dreams, dreams which swiftly become more attractive than reality, as Sara learns from a ghost how to truly live. Will she be the one to break the “Fortner Curse” by helping Seth conquer his demons, and heal both of their hearts in the process?

My Thought:

We meet Sara in a bad time of her life. She has just broke it off with her boyfriend that already has found a new girlfriend that he has proposed to, and on top off that she get fired at work.
She needs to downsize the place she lives so save costs and get an offer she can’t refuse. And then the story really starts when she moves out to this picture perfect house on a secluded island.
The story is wonderfully written and the author paints some really lovely pictures in my mind of this house and island. So much so that I just want to move there like right now, and I hate boats.lol

The haunting is described in a very real way off what happens in real haunted houses at least in my experience with it. With the picture falling off the wall, doors open and closing, the footsteps and so on.

There is also a very nice development of Sara’s character in this book that I really liked, she starts out a little weak and lost on develop into a strong independent woman with a back bone. It was wonderful to read that and about her taking charge off he own life and starting to put her foot firmly down and say no.

The only thing I did not like about this book was the end, it was not for me so I am taking 1 star away for it. Other than that I overall really like it and it was a very good read. It is not often that authors paint such a vivid image off a place in my head. I have had it happen to me 2 times before both times by Nora Roberts in Angels Fall and Northern Lights.
I give this book 4 stars.

Book provided by the Author through PNR NaUBA group Author/Reader Exchange for an honest review.